Opening a massage parlor is one of the most profitable business ideas all over the world. You can see massage parlors trying to attract customers in many touristic places. Or while relaxing in the hotel, you can get an offer about the spa center coming to the sun lounger. It is possible to encounter massage parlors of Spa centers in hotels, specially hired halls. The return of this service, which costs a minimum of 15 $ per session, is quite high. The reason why this business is not widespread, because it is not known how to do it. Now we will tell you all the details such as how to open a massage parlor, the cost of opening a parlor, earnings and the documents required for the license.
First of all, a large part of those who do this business work in a branched way. Usually one person has at least 3-4 more salons. This is due to the fast profit and the chance of branching out. The reason why it is not as widespread as it is abroad is the monopolization of hotels, lack of knowledge about the business, lack of capital and the moral dimension of the business. In this article, I will give you enough information about this business. Other issues are related to your marketing skills and determination.
You do not need to know how to massage to open a massage parlor. In fact, many massage parlor owners are not knowledgeable in this field. They are successful in this business because they know how to work with professionals. What you need in this sector is a certified responsible manager, staff to do massage and someone to carry out marketing activities. Marketing activities vary according to your location. While you can attract customers even in front of the door in touristic cities, Google Ads and opportunity sites are the best advertising channels in big cities.
Now let’s talk about all the details of how to open a massage parlor.
Table of Contents
Opening a Massage Salon
Many entrepreneurs buy the massage parlors of hotels on annual rent and tender. There are high figures here. Of course, in terms of doing business, you can do business in the easiest hotel. Marketing costs will also be very low. It is a bit challenging to attract a customer outside the hotel to a massage parlor. For this reason, getting a hotel tender will be the most logical move you can make in this sector.
Of course, do not cut it short that this business will only happen in the hotel. Spa centers and massage parlors in the areas where there are plazas and sites, make high turnovers. So much so that you can see that 1-year massage parlors are sold with a transfer price of 22000 $.
The interesting part of this business is that the biggest part of the costs is only staff salaries + rent. You don’t have much cost other than that. Every work you do daily is reflected as profit. There is no shortage of customers in massage parlors that serve between 30 minutes and 1 hour for each customer. Believe me, many people prefer massage parlors instead of going to a football match to relieve stress. Let’s say our culture of finding some peace has changed. There are 2 types of people now. Those who have a massage and those who do not. When you read the comments on the internet, positive opinions will attract your attention. There are comments like “I am glad I went, why didn’t I have a massage before”.
As this culture will increase even more, opening a massage parlor will become popular. The only problem in this sector is to open a massage parlor in accordance with the legislation. Unfortunately, many massage parlors operate illegally. This will cause you to be known in a different way in the future and you will definitely be sued one day. When you base your business on legal foundations, you can sell the massage parlor you opened with a cost of 3000 for 25000 $ in 1 year. This income opportunity is not easily recognized by any business.
To open a massage parlor from scratch, you first need to find yourself a responsible manager. The person who will be the responsible manager can also be your employee who has a certificate and a certificate of mastery. There are details about what kind of workplace you should have in the legislation. I shared all the details under subheadings such as the use of air conditioning, disposable materials, smooth floor, etc.
Now let’s move on to how to open a massage parlor from scratch.
How to Open a Massage Parlor
- First of all, you should determine how much capital you will allocate for this business. Depending on the size of the capital you will increase, you can serve not only as a massage parlour but also as a beauty and spa center. Of course, the fact that you carry out many services together will provide you with extra income, especially in touristic areas.
- Now it’s time to create a business plan to open a massage parlor. The most difficult part of this job is to open a salon that complies with the legislation. Find yourself a candidate with a bachelor’s or associate’s degree who has received a 520-hour MEB training certificate to be a responsible manager. This person must also have a journeyman and master certificate.
- Start looking for a hall of at least 200 m² for your business. It is possible to do this business in a smaller area. However, when your business increases, you will surely experience a shortage of space. In addition, areas such as waiting room in accordance with the legislation, responsible manager room, massage rooms with a number of features require high m².
- After the space rental phase, buy all the fixtures and fittings you need. You also need to make a major renovation. In massage parlours, there are some requirements such as hot water in every room, changing rooms in the hall, separate male and female wc.
- After renovation, get a tax certificate. To start doing business, you need a license. We have shared the necessary documents below to get a license.
- After completing all licensing procedures, plan for staff recruitment together with the responsible manager. You can employ both masseurs and masseuses in this sector. Male masseurs alone are not preferred. They provide more individual service.
- After the business opening, you should start marketing activities to do business. The most effective channel for this is internet ads, hotel deals, city deals sites, etc. You can use advertising donations. The increase of each incoming customer will ensure that the workflow will grow like an avalanche.
Massage Parlor Monthly Earnings
An average massage session fee starts from 15 $. Of course, prices may increase according to these different types of massages. In a massage parlor where 10 customers come daily, at least 100 $ turnover is obtained. When you deduct the costs in the massage parlor where the monthly earnings will be 4000 $, your net earnings will be revealed.
Depending on the size of the massage parlor in touristic places, it is possible to make a daily turnover of 250-300 $ in the season. Tourists are very interested in spa centers. A 4-room massage parlor will earn at least 3000 $ per month.
Offering Thai massage, shiatsu massage, reflexology, bali massage and a number of massage options will allow you to do more business.
Suggestions for Those Who Want to Open a Massage Salon
- Examine the complaints made about massage parlors. The vast majority of them have complained about hygiene. If you get a negative note in terms of hygiene in this sector, it is not recommended to do this job.
- Design and decor are as important as the work you do. People pay for the decoration environment as much as they pay for the service. People who are satisfied with the ambiance they are in think that they get what they pay for.
- Many massage parlors only employ a responsible manager with MEB approved masseur or masseuse authorization and do not attach importance to certification in other personnel. Do not fall into this mistake. Those who have regular massages understand who is a professional and who is an amateur.
- Always work as if you will open the 2nd and 3rd branch. In other words, the massage parlor should be operational even when you are not there. For this, you should create a system that can keep everything under record.
- Go to many massage parlors and have yourself massaged. You can copy their good aspects, decor examples and the aspects you like.
We have come to the end of our article titled “Opening a massage parlor, cost and profit of opening a massage parlor”.